You’ve surely heard a lot in recent years about making your home more energy-efficient, but did you know you can save significant amounts of money by switching out your air conditioner? Cooling season is upon us in the East Bay, so now is a great time to consider replacing your current central air conditioner with a more energy-efficient model.
Keep reading below to learn why you might want to install a high-efficiency air conditioner in your East Bay area home this spring!
Benefits of Installing a High-Efficiency Air Conditioner
- Lower energy bills: If you have an older air conditioner, it likely isn’t very energy-efficient. Upgrading to a newer model will help lower your energy bills because your unit will use less energy to cool your home!
- Fewer greenhouse gas emissions: Since high-efficiency air conditioners use less energy to do the same job as less efficient models, your AC unit will emit fewer greenhouse gases. This is, of course, better for the environment.
- Less noise: High-efficiency models, like those in the Carrier Infinity Series, are much quieter than older, bulkier models.
These are just some of the benefits of installing a more energy-efficient air conditioner in your home. Contact an HVAC professional for more details!
A Note on SEER Ratings
Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratios, or SEER Ratings, measure an HVAC unit’s cooling output in a typical cooling season divided by the total energy output. In other words, it measures how much energy it takes to cool a home—the higher the SEER rating, the more energy efficient it is. In the State of California, packaged air conditioners must have a minimum rating of 14. Older models often have ratings of 6 or less, meaning that upgrading to a standard, modern air conditioner will improve your energy efficiency greatly. It typically costs more up front to purchase an air conditioner with a very high SEER rating (above 16), so it depends on your family’s needs and your budget whether it makes sense to by a high-efficiency model.
Still Have Questions about Energy-Efficient Air Conditioners?
There’s no doubt that upgrading from an older AC unit to a modern one will lower your energy bills and improve your home comfort, but deciding exactly what model to purchase can seem like a daunting task. Call the experts at Moore Mechanical and we’ll help you sort through all the information out there about energy-efficient air conditioners and decide what’s best for your family. We’ve been proud to serve our friends and neighbors since 1985, and we’ll continue to serve the East Bay’s heating and cooling needs for years to come. Contact us today!
The energy efficient air conditioner you installed in the 1990s probably wouldn’t be considered energy efficient today. Advancements in technology and higher standards for energy savings have improved the performance of air conditioning systems exponentially in the past two decades.
How Low Can You Go?
The energy efficiency of air conditioners is measured by the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating system.
SEER can be explained this way:
SEER = (Total cooling output over a cooling season) / (Total energy output over a cooling season)
The higher the rating, the more energy efficient the air conditioner is. But the air conditioner that’s right for your home won’t always be the one with the highest SEER rating. The size and age of your home, how it is sited, and more, need to be factored into the decision.
In order to be ENERGY STAR® qualified, an air conditioner must have a SEER rating of 14.5 or higher. At Moore Mechanical, we install Carrier air conditioners, which have SEER ratings from 13-21.
Energy Efficient AC Advantages
We always recommend to our clients that they get the most energy-efficient air conditioner they can afford. Why? Installing an energy efficient air conditioner has several advantages.
- Superior performance – the more energy efficient your AC system is, the more advanced its features are. Some energy efficient Carrier air conditioners are equipped with variable-speed compressors that can run at as low as 25 percent capacity—while keeping your home perfectly comfortable.
- Longer lifespan – because of their increased efficiencies, energy efficient air conditioners cycle on and off less frequently and tend to have less wear and tear over time. And because they perform so well, they don’t need to be replaced as soon or as often as less efficient systems.
- Lower energy bills – the more energy-efficient your air conditioner is, the more you’ll save in energy costs over the life of the system. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that a new, high-efficiency air conditioner can reduce the energy you use for cooling your home up to 20-50 percent.
- Environmentally-friendly refrigerant – air conditioners manufactured after 2010 no longer use ozone-damaging refrigerant. Instead they are equipped with R410a, which is safer for the environment.
Carrier Energy Efficient Air Conditioners
Carrier’s air conditioners are available in three series.
- Carrier Infinity® Series Air Conditioners. The quietest, most efficient Carrier air conditioners are part of the Infinity® series, with SEER ratings ranging from 16 to 21.
- Carrier Performance™ Series Air Conditioners. Carrier’s Performance™ series boasts dependable air conditioners in trim sizes that perform like champs, with SEER ratings from 13 to 17.
- Carrier Comfort™ Series Air Conditioners. The Comfort™ Series features Carrier’s most economical air conditioners, with SEER ratings from 13 to 16.
Learn More About Energy Efficient Home Comfort
To learn more about energy use and find the right energy efficient air conditioner for your home, call Moore Mechanical at 925-307-6479 or contact us online!