You’ve surely heard a lot in recent years about making your home more energy-efficient, but did you know you can save significant amounts of money by switching out your air conditioner? Cooling season is upon us in the East Bay, so now is a great time to consider replacing your current central air conditioner with a more energy-efficient model.
Keep reading below to learn why you might want to install a high-efficiency air conditioner in your East Bay area home this spring!
Benefits of Installing a High-Efficiency Air Conditioner
- Lower energy bills: If you have an older air conditioner, it likely isn’t very energy-efficient. Upgrading to a newer model will help lower your energy bills because your unit will use less energy to cool your home!
- Fewer greenhouse gas emissions: Since high-efficiency air conditioners use less energy to do the same job as less efficient models, your AC unit will emit fewer greenhouse gases. This is, of course, better for the environment.
- Less noise: High-efficiency models, like those in the Carrier Infinity Series, are much quieter than older, bulkier models.
These are just some of the benefits of installing a more energy-efficient air conditioner in your home. Contact an HVAC professional for more details!
A Note on SEER Ratings
Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratios, or SEER Ratings, measure an HVAC unit’s cooling output in a typical cooling season divided by the total energy output. In other words, it measures how much energy it takes to cool a home—the higher the SEER rating, the more energy efficient it is. In the State of California, packaged air conditioners must have a minimum rating of 14. Older models often have ratings of 6 or less, meaning that upgrading to a standard, modern air conditioner will improve your energy efficiency greatly. It typically costs more up front to purchase an air conditioner with a very high SEER rating (above 16), so it depends on your family’s needs and your budget whether it makes sense to by a high-efficiency model.
Still Have Questions about Energy-Efficient Air Conditioners?
There’s no doubt that upgrading from an older AC unit to a modern one will lower your energy bills and improve your home comfort, but deciding exactly what model to purchase can seem like a daunting task. Call the experts at Moore Mechanical and we’ll help you sort through all the information out there about energy-efficient air conditioners and decide what’s best for your family. We’ve been proud to serve our friends and neighbors since 1985, and we’ll continue to serve the East Bay’s heating and cooling needs for years to come. Contact us today!
A home energy audit might seem like an unnecessary expense, but how can you know how to make your home more energy efficient if you don’t know where it’s losing energy in the first place? You could guess, but why spend money on “fixing” things that might not necessarily be broken?
Below are some reasons you should consider a home energy audit.
- Money savings in the long term. The U. S. Department of Energy estimates you can save 5—30% on your energy bill by making efficiency upgrades recommended by a home energy audit! When an energy expert analyzes your home and solves energy loss problems, your HVAC system will run more efficiently. The more efficiently your system runs, the more money you should save on energy bills over time.
- Optimized home comfort. Have you ever felt cold (or hot) spots in your home where your heating or cooling system can’t seem to reach? Or maybe drafts under doors or windows? A home energy audit will point out these problems and find ways to solve them.
- Opportunity to improve the rest of your home. Home energy audits often uncover structural issues or problems with ventilation that, when solved, will improve energy efficiency and the overall functioning of your home.
- Increased home resale value. Letting homebuyers know that you’ve completed a home energy audit (and solved any problems uncovered by the assessment) can be a great marketing tool if you’re trying to sell your home.
Why Should a Professional Perform My Home Energy Audit?
Though you can try to perform a home energy audit yourself, the reality is that professionals have better tools and more experience to get it right and give you the best insights about your home’s energy use. In additional to a room-by-room examination and an analysis of your energy bills, professionals often use technical equipment like thermal imaging cameras, blower door systems, static pressure gauges, duct blasters, and flow hoods. Unless you have these types of devices on hand for some reason, you’re unlikely to get results as precise or accurate as a professional would. Plus, a professional can then make a detailed plan for how to fix the problems in your home. It’s harder to do that when a technician isn’t sure of the accuracy of a DIY home energy audit.
What’s Included in a Home Energy Audit?
Methods at different companies may vary, but the Carrier 360⁰ Home Energy Audit performed by Moore Mechanical has six steps:
- Inspection: Our energy experts will look over your past energy bills, ask about any concerns you might have, and find out more about your family’s needs and lifestyle. We’ll also look at every room in your home, your HVAC system, water heater, ductwork, and insulation to see if any issues are present. Finally, we’ll check for carbon monoxide and gas to make sure your family is safe.
- Testing: Testing can involve some or all of the tools mentioned above—thermal imaging cameras, blower door systems, static pressure gauges, duct blasters, and flow hoods. Your technician will explain what each of these does and why they might use them.
- Analysis: Our team uses special software to analyze the results of our tests and inspection. This analysis will help us determine where your home is losing energy and how we can best solve the problem.
- Recommendations: We’ll go over a list of recommendations with you and make sure you understand what they mean and which ones are the most important.
- Resolution: We will not pressure you into performing any work you don’t want, but if you’re ready to solve the energy loss issues in your home, we’re ready to help!
- Results: Once your home energy audit is completed, you can watch the benefits (and money savings) accumulate! And if you have any issues in the future, you can always count on Moore Mechanical to follow up promptly.
Home Energy Audits in Dublin, CA and East Bay
Ready to see what a Carrier 360⁰ Home Energy Audit can do for you? Call Moore Mechanical at (925) 307-6479 today to schedule an inspection!
Whether you are enjoying a quiet holiday or you are planning on hosting the whole family, staying warm and comfortable during the holidays is important. The question is, how do you stay comfortable and save money at the same time?
Heating your home can seem like a huge expense; these tips from the experts at Moore Mechanical can help you to save this holiday season.
How to Stay Comfortable and Save Money this Holiday Season
Here are some simple things you can do to help you save money when heating your home.
- Change the Filter – If you have a dirty or worn out filter inside your furnace this will impact how efficiently and effectively your furnace heats your home. Change your furnace out now and then again in 2-3 months.
- Maintenance Is Key – Having your furnace maintained is a good way to make sure your system is at its best. If you haven’t already had your furnace maintained since last winter now is the time.
- Program It – If you don’t have a programmable furnace, it may be time to get one. A programmable furnace can help you save money by allowing you to turn your furnace down at certain times of the day. When no one is home, turn it down a few degrees or maybe you like to sleep in a cooler house. In this case, have the temperature change at bedtime so you are not heating the home while you are cozy in your bed.
- Reverse the Fans – Reversing your fans can help push that heated air that tends to escape out the roof back into your home.
- Open and Close the Curtains – To assist in warming up your home, open up any curtains and blinds on windows where the sun shines in. Let the sun naturally warm your home during the day then keep the blinds and curtains closed once the sun sets to keep the warmth in.
- Humidity Levels – The humidity levels in your home can make a big difference. When the humidity levels are right your home will feel more comfortable allowing you to turn the furnace down a few degrees. If the air in your home is too dry or it feels like a rainforest, installing a humidifier/dehumidifier system in your home can help.
- Upgrade It – If your furnace is older than 15 years it may be time for an upgrade. If you have noticed that your current system just can’t keep your home comfortable or your energy costs have skyrocketed it may be time for a new system.
Helping You Stay Warm this Holiday Season
If you would like help staying warm this holiday season while saving some money the team at Moore Mechanical can help. We offer a range of services from maintaining your current system to helping you upgrade to an energy efficient system.
Contact us today at Moore Mechanical and enjoy your holiday season without breaking the bank.
Moore Mechanical is invested in helping you transform your home into a comfortable, energy efficient one! By making your home more energy efficient, not only are you making a positive difference in the environment, you are cutting costs for yourself. Are you interested in learning more about green home improvements? We invite you to attend the upcoming event, Livemore Green, an open house in Livemore, CA on July 17th from 1-4pm.
Livemore Green Open House
This event showcases homeowners, Rick and Donna, who have gone through the process of transitioning their home into a green one. Through this renovation process, the couple was not only able to cut back on monthly utility and home repair costs, they actually received money from energy efficiency rebates! That’s right, Rick and Donna received nearly $4,000 by making their home green friendly and you too have the option to do the same.
At this event, Moore Mechanical will lead tours highlighting green home improvements and we will even demonstrate how a home energy audit is conducted.
Livemore Green Event Details
We personally invite you to join us at our upcoming Livemore Green event to learn how to make your home more energy efficient! Refreshments and free energy efficient products will be provided.
When: July 17th 2016, from 1-4pm
Where: 5402 Felicia Avenue, Livermore CA
Why: Because energy efficiency will not only help our environment, it will save you money!
Register today at: www.LivermoreGreenHome.eventbrite.com
Learn How Your Home Can Be More Comfortable by Being More Energy-Friendly
What if your home could be more comfortable, more energy efficient and save you money? Would you make the upgrade? Would you know how to begin? Continue reading “Be More Energy-Friendly with the Dublin Green Home Workshop” »
The energy efficient air conditioner you installed in the 1990s probably wouldn’t be considered energy efficient today. Advancements in technology and higher standards for energy savings have improved the performance of air conditioning systems exponentially in the past two decades.
How Low Can You Go?
The energy efficiency of air conditioners is measured by the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating system.
SEER can be explained this way:
SEER = (Total cooling output over a cooling season) / (Total energy output over a cooling season)
The higher the rating, the more energy efficient the air conditioner is. But the air conditioner that’s right for your home won’t always be the one with the highest SEER rating. The size and age of your home, how it is sited, and more, need to be factored into the decision.
In order to be ENERGY STAR® qualified, an air conditioner must have a SEER rating of 14.5 or higher. At Moore Mechanical, we install Carrier air conditioners, which have SEER ratings from 13-21.
Energy Efficient AC Advantages
We always recommend to our clients that they get the most energy-efficient air conditioner they can afford. Why? Installing an energy efficient air conditioner has several advantages.
- Superior performance – the more energy efficient your AC system is, the more advanced its features are. Some energy efficient Carrier air conditioners are equipped with variable-speed compressors that can run at as low as 25 percent capacity—while keeping your home perfectly comfortable.
- Longer lifespan – because of their increased efficiencies, energy efficient air conditioners cycle on and off less frequently and tend to have less wear and tear over time. And because they perform so well, they don’t need to be replaced as soon or as often as less efficient systems.
- Lower energy bills – the more energy-efficient your air conditioner is, the more you’ll save in energy costs over the life of the system. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that a new, high-efficiency air conditioner can reduce the energy you use for cooling your home up to 20-50 percent.
- Environmentally-friendly refrigerant – air conditioners manufactured after 2010 no longer use ozone-damaging refrigerant. Instead they are equipped with R410a, which is safer for the environment.
Carrier Energy Efficient Air Conditioners
Carrier’s air conditioners are available in three series.
- Carrier Infinity® Series Air Conditioners. The quietest, most efficient Carrier air conditioners are part of the Infinity® series, with SEER ratings ranging from 16 to 21.
- Carrier Performance™ Series Air Conditioners. Carrier’s Performance™ series boasts dependable air conditioners in trim sizes that perform like champs, with SEER ratings from 13 to 17.
- Carrier Comfort™ Series Air Conditioners. The Comfort™ Series features Carrier’s most economical air conditioners, with SEER ratings from 13 to 16.
Learn More About Energy Efficient Home Comfort
To learn more about energy use and find the right energy efficient air conditioner for your home, call Moore Mechanical at 925-307-6479 or contact us online!